I would be willing to bet a large sum of money (maybe as high as $5) that our regular readers will score very high on this quiz. I took it (score below) and then added some of my own comments to the answers that needed it. I also included a link to the quiz website so you can take it if you like. No fair looking ahead at the answers… rr
Take this quiz… http://healthreform.kff.org/quizzes/health-reform-quiz
My score: “You answered 10 out of 10 questions correctly, better than 99.6% of Americans.”
The Questions and Answers are below. I’ve added my own commentary for those that deserved it.
1. Will the health reform law require nearly all Americans to have health insurance starting in 2014 or else pay a fine?
Y, but it’s a tax.
2. Will the health reform law allow a government panel to make decisions about end-of-life care for people on Medicare?
N, but this is inevitable.
3. Will the health reform law cut benefits that were previously provided to all people on Medicare?
N, but as stated by Obama… that in order to pay for this the government will cut $500B from Medicare. If the government cannot effect this via cost savings, benefits will have to be cut.
4. Will the health reform law expand the existing Medicaid program to cover low-income, uninsured adults regardless of whether they have children?
Y, but most states have said that they will refuse the expansion of Medicaid part of the bill. It’s unclear what will happen in such cases. I predict further expansion of the federal government here on a massive scale.
5. Will the health reform law provide financial help to low and moderate income Americans who don’t get insurance through their jobs to help them purchase coverage?
Y, the taxpayers will buy this for them.
6. Will the health reform law prohibit insurance companies from denying coverage because of a person’s medical history or health condition?
Y (no further explanation is necessary…)
7. Will the health reform law require all businesses, even the smallest ones, to provide health insurance for their employees?
N, the smallest employers do not have to (<50 emps). Other employers can avoid it by paying a nominal tax. All employees will have to buy coverage in any case.
8. Will the health reform law provide tax credits to small businesses that offer coverage to their employees?
9. Will the health reform law create a new government run insurance plan to be offered along with private plans?
N, but if the exchanges fail in each state, this would be the next step. If a person cannot buy insurance where he lives, the federal government will have to step in and offer coverage. It would not be fair to “tax” individuals for not doing something that is not possible for them to do. A government run insurance program (single payer) is a stated objective of Obama.
10. Will the health reform law allow undocumented immigrants to receive financial help from the government to buy health insurance?
N, but if the government does not recognize illegal aliens as such, I don’t see how they’d be kept out of the system. Does anyone believe that Obama would allow those here illegally (a large voting bloc for him) to suffer and lose their votes? Does any really believe that instead of offering them health insurance that Obama would actually tax them instead?